THE Rx FOR HEALTHCARE TRANSFORMATION
Mo Kasti’s Physician Leadership: The Rx for Healthcare Transformation explains why physician leadership is an essential component to successful healthcare transformation and why most physicians are currently ill-prepared to lead others.
Kasti highlights the symptoms that physicians and healthcare organizations are experiencing as a result of a leadership vacuum and provides a solution that defines, measures, analyzes, improves, and verifies leadership evolution.
Many specific examples, which will resonate with anyone working in healthcare today, as well as successful case studies, are included.
- Medical education focuses on clinical skills, graduating generations of physicians taught to treat patients, but not to assume the critical leadership roles required in our turbulent age.
- Medical educational focus is on individual excellence, not on quality outcomes.
- We inadvertently produce doctors from the old paradigm, while the new health age cries out for new skill sets that include leadership, teamwork, collaboration and innovation.
- When physicians disengage from their vocations, whether due to cynicism or burnout, healthcare transformation becomes impossible to achieve. Physician leadership is not a position or a title, it is a mindset.
- Where there is strong physician leadership, healthcare organizations benefit. They become exemplars of quality patient care and cost effectiveness.
- Organizations that effectively develop physician leaders have demonstrated better engagement, better alignment, and better results for patients, employees, and business performance.